Freezing is the fastest way to preserve excess produce, and frozen food retains almost all the nutritional benefits of fresh. Here are some suggestions:
- Recall that items expand when they are frozen, so be sure to allow at least 1/2″ of expansion space (head room) in your bags or containers. Don’t use glass containers.
- To use your frozen goodies, you can put them right into your recipe still frozen, but you may need to lengthen the cooking time. Or, you can place them in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a couple of hours.
- During defrosting, set any plastic bags in a larger container to defrost, to avoid leaks.
- Covering your berries in a liquid will help prevent freezer burn during storage.
- Remove as much air as possible, and vacuum sealers are highly recommended!