Harvest Crew General Job Description
Harvest Team Workers manually harvest and pack crops and (if needed) provide plant care under the direction of the Field Supervisor, with assistance from the Farm Team Supervisor. Crew members report to the Field Supervisor. Compensation is $7.25 to 9.00/hr; based on related experience and skills. The Employment Type for this position is Non-Exempt, Seasonal, and Full-Time or Part-Time, depending on staffing needs.
Agriberry Harvest Crew Workers will
- Harvest berries in a safe, efficient manner, ensuring productivity and quality goals are met or exceeded.
- Appropriately mark their work or finished product with their worker ID, as directed.
- Pack and load harvested products.
- Understand and adhere to all food safety practices and Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) in daily work and will satisfy all related training requirements, as required by the Field Supervisor.
- Care for plants as instructed and assigned by the Field Supervisor, including planting, pruning, pest scouting, weeding, tying, thinning and tucking plants.
- Safely and responsibly use any hand tools provided by Agriberry Farm, such as trowels, hoes, pruning shears, and loppers, and return them in good condition at the end of each assignment.
- Assist Field Supervisor in the construction of trellises or irrigation activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned
The Agriberry Farm Worker must be able and willing to
- Tolerate extreme temperatures (especially heat) for 6-8 hours a day;
- Comply with requirements for protective clothing;
- Work in an outdoor environment, including tolerance for pests and thorns;
- Repetitively lift and carry items up 25 lbs.;
- Demonstrate good visual acuity, with an ability to identify weeds, pests, and crops readyfor harvest;
- Stand, sit, bend, kneel, stretch and squat for long periods of time;
- Demonstrate sufficient dexterity of hands, arms and fingers to be able to perform the principal responsibilities of the Farm Worker job, including to harvest fruit; to install, position, and move materials; and to manipulate tools and equipment.
In addition to the physical requirements above, the Agriberry Farm Worker must be able to
- Pass a background check and other pre-employment screening;
- Demonstrate an interest local farming and/or agriculture;
- Be able to discuss Agriberry Farm, including its mission, products and primary markets;
- Remain focused while performing repetitive functions;
- Have reliable transportation to the farm and be able to arrive at the work site by 6:45 am, or as otherwise instructed by the Field Supervisor; and
- Maintain enthusiasm, good attitude, honesty and a willingness to treat all co-workers with respect, despite challenging work conditions.
Desirable Additional Skills
Priority will be given to applicants demonstrating:
- Prior agricultural experience, with references;
- Fluency in work-related English;
- Knowledge of pest management practices and techniques;
- Knowledge of VDACS food safety requirements;
- Knowledge and ability to distinguish different plants; and
- Ability to receive text messages.