- 2 T olive oil
- 3 large onions chopped (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 1 t chipotle chili powder
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 cups)
- 4 to 6 apples cored and grated (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 C apple cider
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t ground black pepper
Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch Oven; add onions and chili powder; cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add squash, apples, cider, broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil, then cover and cook on low heat until apples and squash are very soft, about 30 minutes.
Puree with an immersion blender, and add additional apple cider or broth to taste, if needed.
Garnish with toasted pecans and thin apple slices, if desired.
Adapted from the US Apple Association