- 2 cups rhubarb (thawed, if frozen) About 4 med. stalks cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (or sweetener of choice) divided
- 1/2 cups butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a loaf pan.
Add the rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar to a sauce pan and heat on medium until the rhubarb is fork tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes then transfer it to a glass dish and place it in the fridge to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and remaining sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions. Stir the vanilla into the sour cream, and in a separate bowl combine the baking powder, salt and flour. Add the flour and the sour cream mixtures to the butter/sugar/egg mixture, alternating wet and dry until smooth. Gently fold in the rhubarb pieces and any juice remaining in the dish.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with a tablespoon of coarse sugar. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then tap to loosen and remove the loaf to a rack to cool completely before slicing to serve.
Slice and serve slightly warm, cool or lightly toasted. Serve plain or top with rhubarb sauce, fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream.