Status & Salary: Non-Exempt, Annual Full Time, Hourly $15 – $20 per hour; based on related skills and experience.
The Kitchen Manager supervises, directs and controls all activities, systems and processes related to kitchen operations, inventory control, records management, ingredient and material acquisitions, including but not limited to the development and production of jams and other value added products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Completes or coordinates the execution of all tasks related to kitchen operations. This is primarily in planning and production of jams, applesauce, and oat bars but can extend to any kitchen related task.
- Responsible for timely acquisitions and orders related to kitchen materials and value added production supplies within budget.
- Uses established recipes and Standard Operating Procedures to maintain production of existing products with the goal of highest quality outcome.
- Manages and oversees the timely processing, labeling and inventory management of second quality fruits in conjunction with warehouse and field supervisor.
- Safely operates kitchen equipment and machinery; provides general maintenance, care and cleaning of kitchen tools and equipment as well as maintains a production space with a high standard of cleanliness and food safety awareness.
- Maintains VDACS inspection and certifications.Tasked with quality control and demonstrating commitment to food safety and sanitation standards at all times.
- Packages, labels and inventories products or oversees these processes.
- Maintains timely and accurate production records.
- Coordinates all sales and distribution goals, while managing gross profit, expenses, and availability related to value added products in conjunction with the general manager.
- Develops new and innovative value added products using fresh and processed fruit.
- Completes price analysis to maximize Agriberry’s position in the value added market.
- Protects all Agriberry kitchen trade secrets, proprietary, intellectual property and confidential information.
- Reports any instances of outstanding employee efforts or improved performance.
- Attends, participates in or leads strategic meetings on a regular, or as needed basis.
- Coordinates value added promotional opportunities, including sampling with marketing and operations teams
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Additional Valued Attributes
- Demonstrated passion for local farming and/or the agriculture industry, with an understanding of Agriberry Farm, the market and customer dynamics.
- Driven, with an enthusiasm for goal setting and completion.
- Detail oriented, creative thinker with good judgment and decision making skills; able to analyze information, evaluate results, and implement the best solution to solve problems or challenges.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as understand when a superior needs to be involved in decision making.
- Effective communication skills with an understanding of how to build good working relationships with employees, supervisors, assistants, and peers.
- Good comprehension, with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through verbal communication.
- Enthusiasm, trustworthiness, personal integrity and honesty.
- Excellent time management and task completion skills, with the ability to meet deadlines in a fast paced, customer service focused environment.
- Good comprehension and active listening skills, committed to delivering solutions and adding value to create a quality experience for peers, vendors, and customers.
- Exceptional interpersonal oral, digital and written communication skills.
- Dedication to keeping up to date on industry trends, and applying new knowledge.
- Willingness and/or history of participation in professional development classes and/or trade seminars.
- Team player who is flexible to change and willing to adapt.
- Self-motivation that leads to increased productivity and higher efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to operate equipment safely in the workplace.
- Knowledge of and commitment to delivering a quality product while maintaining a high standard of food safety.
- Understanding of chemistry and lab testing procedures.
- Undergraduate degree, 1 – 2 years of successful and applicable production, project/team management, or marketing in the culinary and/or agriculture field, OR any similar combination of education and experience.
- Excellent computer skills, with working knowledge of the primary MS Office programs and Google Docs.
- Valid VA Driver’s License; must be able to reliably ensure transportation to our farm in Hanover. Our farm does not have access to a public transportation route and doing supply runs to obtain materials for the kitchen is a duty of this job, that can use a company vehicle, but as such requires the ability to clear our insurance requirements to be on our driving policy.
- Must be fluent in English – work related Spanish a plus
- Able to lift & carry items up 50 lbs. and repetitively lift & carry items up 25 lbs.
- Able to stand, sit, bend, kneel, stretch and squat for long periods of time.
- Able to work in an operating kitchen with variable ambient temperatures and space availability.
- Able to sit at a desk comfortably while working on a computer for extended periods of time.