Job Title: Field Team Leader Department: Farm Operations
Reports To: Field Supervisor/Field Personnel Manager Staff Size: 4-12
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status (Exempt or Non): Non-exempt
Pay Range: $8.50-$10 (Previous experience and skills pending)
The Field Team Leader is a medium level leadership role, expected to lead by example while carrying out responsibilities and duties. This position will be responsible for a small team of field workers of diverse ability (experienced and novice harvesters). This position will ensure the quality workmanship and good behavior of their team on a daily basis. This position will lead that team primarily in harvesting but can also be utilized for plant care, field scouting, clean up duties, and various other field chores.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Lead their team of harvesters to accomplish any assignments for the day at the highest level of quality. This includes checking regularly on harvester performance, providing feedback, and reporting instances of note (positive or negative) to the Field Supervisor.
2. Assists in integrating and training new members of their team once the harvester has made it through the initial training period and been assigned a team.
3. Helps harvest their team’s assignments when not directly supervising. (Does receive Piecerate bonus but should demonstrate leadership and maturity to prioritize overall harvest quality of squad to their own bonus)
4. Meets regularly (daily in the morning via text/phone [when off-site] or in person) with the Field Supervisor or Assistant Field Supervisor (site pending) to understand the duties and responsibilities of the day. Helps prepare necessary materials for the day if needed.
5. Contributes to evaluation of first week trainees and their team placement based on social and professional skills and traits.
6. During low staffing times of the year (Early Spring and Fall) if this person is still in the field crew (not a student hire) they perform field work and harvesting as part of one unit not broken into teams, all reporting to the Field Supervisor.
7. Implements and facilitates the use of good food safety practices within their team at all times.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated passion for local Farming, Agriberry’s industry, or youth development, with an understanding of Agriberry’s mission.
- Effective leadership, communication skills, and motivational skills, with an understanding of how to build good working relationships with employees, supervisors, and peers.
- An in depth understanding of Agriberry’s field procedures, handbook, and standards.
- Ability to strategize and operate proactively.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and self-control.
- Ability to work autonomously and understand when a superior needs to be involved in decision making.
- Good comprehension, with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through verbal communication, and relay such ideas with clarity.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- At least one year of Agricultural field work, highly preferred at Agriberry
- Ability to successfully pass a background check and other pre-employment screening.
- Fluency in work related Spanish and/or Engligh
- High school diploma or higher preferred.
- Ability to send and receive calls and text (group and SMS) messages
- Able to lead a group of mostly high school age students in an efficient and disciplined manner
Physical Requirements: (Evaluate what this position requires or may require in terms of lifting, standing, kneeling, sitting, etc. Identify the minimum amount of weight the employee will need to lift)
- Able to tolerate extreme temperatures
- Able to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs, with assistance if necessary
- Good physical dexterity
- Able to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Able to bend, kneel, stretch, squat, and climb.