Job Title: Field Operations Manager Department: Farm
Reports To: Field Supervisor Staff Size: 4-35
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status (Exempt or Non): Non-exempt
Pay Range: $10-12 hourly
Primary Function: (Summarize overall purpose of job.) The Field Operations Manager is a management role, expected to lead by example while carrying out responsibilities and duties. This position’s focus is on materials and quality control, especially during harvest season. This position will assist in preparation of and handling of all fruit from field to cooler, maximizing shelf life and quality. Food safety and record management are an integral aspect of this position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: (Core duties or tasks that are fundamental and executed on a regular basis. Define function, and the result to be accomplished, i.e., “improve customer satisfaction rating.” Define frequency, time spent, etc. and list duties in order of importance.
- Prepares, assists, or coordinates the daily preparation of all necessary materials for the field crew.
- Assists in overseeing all aspects of field and cooler quality control, including regular monitoring and feedback. Done actively from the quality control station in the field. This position should be the primary berry handler from field to cooler, maintaining quality and maximizing shelf life with regular trips.
- Leads Good agricultural practices (GAP) and perform GAP training, as required by law. This includes completing required paperwork. This position is primarily responsible for GAP practice implementation and record keeping, leading though example as well as direction to employees on food safety practices.
- Staffs and/or participates in completing all necessary harvesting and plant care. During harvest this should be done only if all other duties are attended to. During plant care season this will be much more common.
- Attends, participates in or leads team meetings on a regular basis, or as needed. During harvest season this includes daily morning meeting with field leadership, weekly leadership meeting with field leadership, and administering GAP food safety training sessions to staff.
- Reports instances of note, positive or negative, to other members of the field leadership team for appropriate action to be taken. In general discipline shouldn’t be administers from this role but this role should report potential discipline or productivity infractions to field leadership for them to handle.
- Assists in the completion and maintenance of all records and documents related to production, quality control and harvesting records. Piece rate data records are primarily handled by this role.
- Communicates regularly about updates in field records and daily yields to immediate supervisor at scheduled breaks.
- Shares responsibility with Field Supervisor for Integrated Pest Management, and Pest Control Best Practice recommendations. This is done through GAP scouting, instances of note regarding field health or food safety should be reported to Field Supervisor or Farm Production manager.
- Can be responsible for managing a medium sized (8-20) field crew independently from primary work crew with close communication with Field Supervisor on performance, yields, records, and progress. This should only occur when Asst. Field Supervisor and Field Supervisor are unavailable and ideally with the aid of at least 1 Team Lead.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Describe the level of knowledge and/or experience required. Identify what skills and abilities are required to be successful, i.e., excellent communication skills, attention to detail, ability to stay organized and multi-task.)
- Demonstrated passion for local Farming or the Agriculture industry, with an understanding of Agriberry’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to operate safely in the workplace, with experience in holding peers and direct reports accountable to safety standards.
- Effective leadership, communication skills and motivational skills, with an understanding of how to build good working relationships with employees, supervisors and peers.
- Effective problem solving and project management skills.
- Ability to strategize and operate proactively.
- Demonstrated understanding of staffing and scheduling.
- Prior experience in working with or managing outdoor manual labor.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and self-control.
- Good comprehension, with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through verbal communication.
- Enthusiasm, good attitude, trustworthiness, personal integrity and honesty.
- Good attention to detail, with an ability to plan, prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work autonomously and understand when a superior needs to be involved in decision making.
- Good decision making skills, with the ability to analyze information, evaluate results, and implement the best solution to solve problems or challenges.
- Self motivated, with a dedication to keeping up to date technically, and applying new knowledge to your job.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements: (Specify number of years of job-related experience required and/or educational equivalent; type of degree required; certificates & licensure. Specify the skills required, e.g., computer programs, secretarial skills, special machines, etc.)
- High School or equivalent; Undergraduate course work desirable
- One or more years of experience in the Farming or Agriculture field, preferably in a supervisory role OR any similar combination of education and experience.
- Valid VA Driver’s License.
- Ability to successfully pass a background check and other pre-employment screening.
- Fluency in work related Spanish and/or English.
- Prior experience with, and the ability to, effectively manage youth workers preferred.
Physical Requirements: (Evaluate what this position requires or may require in terms of lifting, standing, kneeling, sitting, etc. Identify the minimum amount of weight the employee will need to lift)
- Able to tolerate extreme temperatures.
- Able to lift & carry items up 50 lbs, with assistance if necessary.
- Good physical dexterity and eyesight.
- Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Able to bend, kneel, stretch, squat, and climb.