Job Title: Farm Production Manager
Department: Farm Operations
Reports To: Production Consultant and/or Director of Operations
Staff Size: 1-5
Pay Range: $12-$15 with bonus opportunities available
Season: Part Time Duties beginning in April, escalating to mandatory Full Time+ duties in Mid/Late May until Early/Mid November. Off from Thanksgiving-Early April with other farm duties available for part of that time period if mutually beneficial.
The Production Manager is primarily responsible for the growth and productivity of the crops grown on-site at Agriberry Farm, specifically the Woodberry growing site. They work closely with the Production Consultant learning skills through him. They may be in charge of a small group of experienced field workers to execute larger scale plant care and maintenance such as tipping primocanes in June and maintaining clean harvest space for harvesters during peak production.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Using Integrated Pest Management and current best practices keeps plants productive and healthy throughout the harvest season on a timely basis to maximize productivity while balancing site sustainability. This includes applying herbicides and pesticides of a synthetic and/or organic nature depending on ideal chemical class rotation, best product to resolve an issue and operating within federal and state guidelines.
- Manages irrigation and fertigation systems on the farm. Ensure plants are well watered and fed according to seasonal needs.
- Maintains and operates equipment such as tractors, sprayers, plastic layers, discing equipment and other necessary equipment.
- Executes site preparation and planting including soil health, bed preparation, plant ordering, and planting.
- Establishes trellis systems for new plantings.
- Executes plant care and maintenance during the growing season such as primocane tipping in the summer, can utilize a small crew of experienced field workers to execute large scale plant care projects that maximize harvestability and yield.
- Manages frost protection systems to minimize plant damage in the spring and maximize season extension in the fall.
- Can be responsible for special projects with independent execution such as bee keeping, honey collection, maintaining a functional hot house or infrastructure for season extension, variety trial testing, etc.
- Establishes cover crops in fallow fields to maximize soil health for future plantings.
- Mow and maintain general site health and well-being.
- Other duties as necessary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated passion for local Farming or the Agriculture industry, with an understanding of Agriberry’s mission.
- Ability to maintain farm equipment such as tractors, mowers, discers, plastic bed layers, and spraying equipment
- Prior experience in the agricultural and/or mechanical field
- Ability to work autonomously and effectively without constant management
- Understanding of the balance between maximizing crop productivity and site sustainability.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Current Pesticide Applicators License for the state of Virginia
- Three or more years experience in the Farming or Agriculture field
- Valid VA Driver’s License
- Ability to successfully pass a background check and other pre-employment screening
- Fluency in work related English, Spanish is a desirable benefit.
- Able to tolerate extreme temperatures.
- Able to lift & carry items up 50 lbs.
- Good physical dexterity.
- Able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Able to bend, kneel, stretch, squat, and climb.