Using store-bought pound cake really makes this a super quick and very pretty dessert, but be sure to prepare it the day before it is to be served in order to allow the flavors to meld.
- 1 pound cake (plain or lemon) homemade or store-bought
- 1 pint heavy cream cold
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts strawberries rinsed and hulled
- 3-4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish optional
Cut pound cake into 1 inch chunks, set aside. Whip the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks form.
Slice the strawberries into a non-reactive bowl, and toss with the granulated sugar to help release the natural juices.
Place 1/3 of the pound cake pieces in a trifle bowl or other deep bowl.
- Top with ¼ of the strawberry mixture.
- Spoon 1/3 of the whipped cream.
Repeat using the same order 2 more times. You will have used all the cake and whipped cream and still have ¼ remaining strawberry mixture.
Place the last of the strawberries on the top layer, and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to let the flavors meld. Serve chilled, garnished with fresh mint.
We're featuring strawberries in this example, because, well, strawberries are awesome. But you can use any fruit or combination of fruit in this recipe. This recipe looks prettiest in a classic straight-sided clear glass trifle bowl, but we didn't have one handy.
Ideally this recipe should be prepared the day before it is to be served.